3.14.2008

Continued Conversation With Blue Cross

At a little past 8am this morning, Blue Cross gave me a jingle. Mr. and I were still slumbering peacefully. I rolled out of bed, moving like a slug, mumbling about early morning people. Perhaps it was because I was still half awake. Perhaps it was the dreams I had throughout the night where I was resisting the filth and dogma of the System(s). Perhaps it was due to my conversation with these folks yesterday. Something in me snapped. And I let myself speak without thinking. Well no, that's not quite true. I let myself speak without censorsing my words.

Blue Cross thief was calling about my claim information I faxed yesterday. They wanted to know the FDA code on my supplement given the receipt I sent them didn't have it so they had nothing to code it to. The FDA does not endorse this product. Says so right on the bottle. And I knew full well the FDA would not put a code on something they haven't investigated nor approved, meaning on something they don't have their grubby hands in. So I made up a code. I gave 'em the expiration date.

"Are you sure you've given me the right code?"

"Yes."

"Are you absolutely sure? I put it in the system and it comes back unknown."

"Check again."

"I am and hmmm, are you sure you didn't read me the expire numbers?"

"Oh, silly me, yes I must have."

"I'm sorry but we cannot approve something that does not have the FDA code on it."

"You guys are something else, you know that?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"You health insurance companies. You're in bed with anyone who will give you cash, including the FDA."

I was shocked to hear, "I can't argue with that."

"Good, then you will probably agree with me when I say you're a bunch of criminals. Every one of you who work for the health insurance industry. You deny folks coverage because of pre-existing health conditions. You deny claims to pad your profits. You charge outrageous premiums. You have accountants and money crunchers making decisions doctors should. Thousands of people die each year because of your way of doing business and that makes you all criminals. You all should be in a jail cell right now."

"Well, yes we should make it easier for folks to get coverage."

"No, you should be eliminated and something else put in place so that coverage is a RIGHT and DOABLE for every person regardless of their income or health status."

"You know, I really do care about our customers..."

"You do not. If you did, you'd find a way to pay for this claim. You would be fighting to bring down the criminal system you're a part of. Are you doing that? Are you fighting to stop this profit before human need and dignity? Are you demanding your higher ups stop their obsessive addictive need for money? Are you demanding your co-workers who give doctors bonuses for denying treatment to stop? Are you?"

"Uhhhh, well, we are trying to make some changes. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Yes, you can remember every word I've said. Quit your job and work to end the system of private for-profit health insurance. You know a lot for you've seen a lot."

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Yes, but I'm not wasting any more of my time. Good bye." Click.

1 comment:

tkn said...

wow. I'm stunned.

way to go n!