1.13.2008

Chantix Hits

I've noticed my blog has received several on-going hits from viewers who are googling "chantix". Most seem to be looking for information to use it to help them quit smoking. I wanted to share a few other stories I've heard of people using this drug.

A friend shared with me the story she read in USA Today (I believe that's the publication). A man used the drug to help him quit his smoking habit. According to the article, he started acting very aggressively and erratic, scaring his fiance. In time, he left the house and proceeded to go to a nearby neighbor's home where he began pounding on their door. He wouldn't let up. The neighbor did not know who he was or obviously, why he was pounding on the door, so the neighbor shot the guy, killing him.

This same friend told me her sister is on the drug and it is making her feel very sick and fatigued. She also told me about her former boyfriend who was taking it. She said it made him very unstable mentally/emotionally.

As I've said, Mr. Nina is on the path to quitting his smoking habit. He contacted the Quit For Life folks and they call every couple of weeks to see how he's doing. Mr. Nina already determined he was not going to go the Chantix route after what he had heard about its REAL effectiveness in helping people quit, the side-effects, plus hearing the FDA has put the drug on a watch list. The last phone call from this group was quite interesting. The guy kept telling Mr. Nina that there was no proof Chantix causes suicidal behavior and that, even though the FDA has put it on a watch list, it hasn't yet pulled it.

During this phone call I was in the background saying "ask this guy if they receive funding from the pharmaceutical's". While Mr. Nina didn't ask the question, given the pressure to reconsider Chantix as a viable quitting aid and this guy's defensive posturing, I'd say we already know the answer to that question. They're funded through the Insurance Industry. To me, that's one and the same.

Instead of using a damn drug that messes with your mind, try some form of hypnosis or suggestive phrases. And not just one time. Hypnosis-like methods CAN work if done on a daily, on-going basis. That's key. A one-time trip into the subconscious ain't gonna cut it. Change that inner programming you have about cigs and you can quit this habit. Google "Think Right Now". They have, amongst other self-help tapes, a quit smoking now program. It's guaranteed to work or your money back (you can use any of the tapes up to 6 months risk-free). I've picked up a few of their tapes and I notice when I actually use them consistently, I feel better. They're backed by years of scientific study into how the subconscious is best accessed, how people best learn new things. I don't work for them nor am I affiliated with them in any way. I just believe these folks are on to something quite powerful and effective.

One last note, a rather interesting one. I had already wondered when I would see something like this. There is now a television commercial put out by some law firm seeking people who have loved ones who used Chantix and committed suicide.

The class action law suits have already begun.

No comments: