11.21.2007

The "Real" Thanksgiving ?

I had to post something after watching the local news last night and all of their "everything is just swell in mayberry, usa, here in our little community" sugar coating. Aired was a clip of local school children portraying the first thanksgiving. It's one thing when children believe this not- quite-accurate portrayal of history. It's another when this makes the local news and is broadcast without any historical corrections.

I admit to being a bit uneducated over the years as to the real history of the time. Or perhaps the truth is I was educated in the public education system and have just failed to find out the truth for myself. I've since learned a bit here and there, although like all history, things are open to interpretation given it is afterall human perception. The only people who really know the truth of what happened are the natives and the puritans. And yet even at that, the absolute Truth is (largely) a blend of both accounts.

Anyway, I googled "the real thanksgiving" and came up with a bunch of links, some with conflicting accounts. I thought I'd post a few and let you either form or alter your own opinion. Or perhaps it will stay the same.

http://www.danielnpaul.com/TheRealThanksgiving.html

http://www.manataka.org/page269.html

http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/thanksgiving_nelte.html (this offers up the most detailed and referenced account, imho)

That being said, Happy Thanksgiving. Happy Holiday. Or Happy Thursday/regular day. Even though I find it sadly deplorable how we have treated the natives throughout history, I rarely pass up the opportunity to eat good food with others in celebration, fun and love and to offer gratitude. Regardless of how I am feeling on that day, I always sense the energy of peace of the day as the masses put aside the daily grind and gather together to enjoy. As a child, and even today, I often asked/ask myself and others, "why don't we do this every day?"

And then again there's the sadness I feel from those who are alone without wanting to be. That's a story for another day....



No comments: