9.02.2007

Forgot One.......

I belong to an e-mail free-for-all discussion group. I usually delete most of the stuff, but recently got in on the conversation about phone service, in particular, Vonage. I'm always on the lookout for the best bargain. For $24.99 you receive unlimited local and long distance calls (including some free calls to parts of Europe). All of the features you normally pay for with other bigger companies, like call waiting and voice mail, are included in the price.

Wow! Sign us up, I thought.

Well, I checked out their website and found out in order to use their service, you need high speed internet connection, which we don't have. You see, they don't use phone lines to plug you in. They give you some sort of an interceptor adaptor thingie (high tech lingo warning). So my question to the discussion group was "ok, so say if the internet connection goes down, I assume this means no phone service, correct?"

Yep.

However, they have a call forwarding service if that happens. The call will then get forwarded to your cell phone.

We don't own a cell phone, so forget Vonage. As a joke though, I asked "what do you do if you don't own a cell phone?"

No response of course. I'm sure the people are still recovering from hearing there really are people who don't own a cell phone. We're a small group. We meet every month, at a secret location, to talk about how we're going to return to the days of real land line phones. The kind that plug in the walls. And, shhh, no one is to know this, but, a return to the ROTARY DIAL.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

1 comment:

crallspace said...

Rotary is somewhat painful, but the sound it makes can warm the heart.

I like the sound of the old telephone that rings and echoes out when someone answers the phone. Usually older folks with older phones still provide that. You know what I mean? They pick up, and there is still a faint, dwindling echo of the phone ringing. I used to call a relative in Arkansas and the moment I'd hear that, I'd instant "be there" with em.

We just signed up for Working Assets, a supposed progressive company. I am hesitant to give them a resounding recommendation however.