9.11.2007

Fed Up With Junk Mail? Blame The Post Office!

I had an interesting phone conversation with someone from our State Attorney General's Office. I had called to inquire as to how I could be removed from a mailing list, BETUS.com (a dispicable organization obsessed with sports and gambling). I had called BETUS and asked to be removed. I was told they had no mailing list and if I didn't like the material, throw it away. No, I said, you don't understand. I want to be removed. Of course you have a mailing list. If you indeed have no mailing list, why is my spouse's name on it? Why have we been receiving this rag for 5 years now, even though we have moved three times in that 5 years?

Oh, well, that was part of a mass marketing campaign, Sleezeball Vinny told me (I swear, the guy sounded like some rude, arrogant idiot from the Bronx--sorry NY). Everyone received them.

Everyone?? I asked, incredously.

Everyone, said he.

Well if that's the case, I replied, why didn't I receive one? Why didn't my neighbor as well?

Look lady, he said, if you don't like them, toss them. We have no mailing list.

Fucking liar, I said.

He hung up.

So, this prompted me to call our State Attorney General's Office, where I was told there was indeed nothing I could do.

However......the clerk whispered something to me and said "you did not hear this from me". So ok readers, ssshhh, I did not hear this from a clerk with our State Attorney General's Office, capiche? What I did hear, through the grapevine, is that our own US Post Office receives MONEY from many of these sleezeball companies to deliver their crap.

Which got me to thinking.

You fed up with junk mail?

So am I.

So I have an idea.

Keep all of your junk mail (that you have not requested) for a month, then bring it down to the Post Office. Bring back TO THEM what they bring to us, even though we don't want it. And let them know we KNOW about the little arrangement they have worked out with some of these sleeze ball companies. Tell them we know about their little financial agreement.

Then tell them that while you may continue on with this plan, I will continue to REdeliver this unwanted material back to you.

At the very least, a lot of trees will be breathing a sigh of relief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been requesting that my name be removed from the betus.com mailing list to no avail as well and I am now writing REFUSED on the catalog and dropping it in a post office box. If the Post Office thinks it is OK for *us* to have to sort this crapola so *they* can make some money, then we need to send that sorting work back to the Post Office. :-/