9.14.2007

Blockbuster. Try Walletbuster.

Mr. Nina and I made the switch from Netflix to Blockbuster a few months ago. In short, I am not impressed. Our plan was for two-at-a-time rentals plus unlimited in-store exchanges in addition to one free in-store movie rental coupon per month. Sounded like a pretty good deal. However, I soon discovered Blockbuster's movie selection sucks. Our local Blockbuster store is even worse.

Netflix has so many more movies, more variety for certain. Blockbuster seems to focus more on current hollywood crap. We prefer more independent films, documentaries, etc.

Another problem is the waiting period. When a customer of Netflix, when a movie would be shown as having a "short wait", they meant it. Two weeks or so later, it became available. However, with Blockbuster, "short wait" so far has meant 7 weeks. And while Netflix would go to the trouble at times of giving an actual availability date, Blockbuster doesn't do this.

Also, I soon discovered that while a movie may show itself to be available in ones queue, this doesn't mean it is available at your local shipping facility. I have had a movie from the 1960's sitting at the #1 spot in my queue for 4 weeks and despite it saying it is available, it keeps getting passed over. When I called Blockbuster Customer Service about this, which by the way I was on hold for 20 fucking minutes and had to listen to the SAME SONG over and over again, I was given the above reason. I said it may behoove them to have some sort of a notation online letting the customer know this little tidbit. In short, I was told by the customer service representative that he would check into the problem and have the movie sent out from another facility.

Two shipped movies later, my 1960's flick still sits there, waiting.

Mr. Nina and I discussed returning to Netflix last night. We didn't reach a conclusion. However, after the e-mail I received today from Blockbuster, my mind is now made up.

Blockbuster, in all of their wallet-busting, greedy, capitalistic gluttony has decided to change our plan. While the price isn't going up, the amount of movies we receive is dropping. No longer will we have unlimited in-store exchanges. Nope. We will now only be receiving 3. However, if that doesn't suffice, they will ONLY charge us $1.99 per movie for each additional in-store exchange. Wow. How fucking generous of them.

And, gone is the monthly free rental coupon.

Hmm.

Doesn't seem like Blockbuster wants our business anymore. I'll be returning us to Netflix, thank you very much.

No comments: