4.17.2007

Who I Used To Be......

i was remembering some of the old beliefs i used to have. it's hard for me not to laugh today...not necessarily at myself, but how ridiculous some now seem to me. perhaps though, most, if not all, weren't really beliefs i held. perhaps the truth is that they were someone elses beliefs that were spoon fed to me. and i being the trusting, naive little sponge, soaked it all up. and in doing so, my own voice was left alone in the dark. thank god she's a screamer. : )

here they are in no particular order:

1) i used to believe the gay lifestyle was sinful and that gays and lesbians were going to hell.

2) along those lines, i used to believe in a real place called hell. you know the deal. fire and brimstone. damnation. a devil with the pointed ears and, in my vision, really bad teeth.

3) i used to believe in a god that was male, complete with penis and chest hair. he had an issue with women, too. he didn't like them speaking out too much. again, thank god my inner voice is a screamer.

4) i used to believe women were subservient to men (oh geez, is that a hard one to own). men were the head of the household--their needs came first. (thanks mom.) holding that attitude started my whole struggle with anxiety and panic. put your needs last long enough and you start to lose it.......

5) i used to believe in our government. i used to believe everything they told my television monitor.

6) i used to believe in the american dream. now i see it for what it really is--just a dream. and until people wake the fuck up and demand a different, fairer, just and better society, it will continue to be only a dream.

7) i used to believe people who lived in poverty were worthless, lazy and stupid. life made sure i swallowed, digested and eliminated that pill.

8) i used to believe my family would be there for me no matter what. another equally bitter pill to swallow.

9) i used to support the minimum wage laws. no longer. if it's not a living wage, it's slavery. criminal. period.

10) i used to believe my vote really counted. now with seeing how easy it is to rig a voting machine and upon realizing people are often appointed by a select few THEN elected, well you get the picture.......

11) i used to believe i could have it all if i worked hard enough. tell that to my frazzled, fatigued brain and body. it's a myth created to keep us enslaved to "how things are". the media only shows us those people whose hard work paid off. they fail to spotlight the millions whose hard work does not pay off.

12) i used to believe i had to earn my worth.

3 comments:

nolocontendere said...

Women aren't subservient to men? What?
:-)

Spiritbear said...

I linked here from a friend of a friend. I am a fellow Oregonian (unfortunatly in Albany).

I find this post intriguing. Now my concept of God doesnt seem to have changed as much as yours but I too have had a crisis of belief. My faith in the system is GONE. I now detest the religious right and republican ideals. I cant stand sexism in the name of God and I believe that the Bible doesnt teach this. I think peopel twist it to mean what they want. Anyway, Its tough. Most of the people I used to consider holy seem so fake.

Nice blog. Keep it up. Nice to find out I am not alone. And in Oregon too.

I am still a Christian, but what that means has changed a lot. I hope that made some sense.

Nina said...

hi spiritbear in albany~

i hear you. i think we need to redefine what being a christian is. to me it's about love, love in action. striving for that. people get lost when they focus on who is god (although i understand the desire to have to know that, define it). i'm more interested in how i can heal, how i can be more loving, how i can make the world a better place.

there continues to be people who have realized there is so much more to our existance, our potential, than what religion has taught us. or should i say the church. i'm trying to find some truth in who i am and how i can function in a system that i find to be corrupt, criminal and broken.