4.25.2007

Rosie Quits The View? Uh Huh. Tell Me Another One.

It's official. ABC has announced that Rosie O'Donnell will be leaving The View as of this June. The reason? Contract dispute. Rosie wanted to commit for a year. ABC wanted her to commit to 3 years. If she were to do just a one-year-at-a-time, this would leave open the possibility of more pay increases whereas a 3 year contract would lock in a salary.

I ain't buying it. I've had a growing feeling for months now that Ms. Rosie was gonna get the ax and that it would be disguised as her making the voluntary decision to leave.

Most of us know ABC is owned by Disney. And yet how many of us know that Disney has contributed large sums of good 'ole cash to Bushes election campaigns? Rosie has been a very outspoken critic of Bush. She's challenged the establishment. She's pointed to the missing links and inconsistencies of the events of 9/11. And in doing so, she's stirred the pot in a big way, exposing this to the audience most in NEED of such exposure--conservative, upper middle class suburbanites. Add this all up and you've got a situation that makes big corporations like Disney very nervous. Gotta find a way to make this go away. And they did.

I hope she starts her own show and continues the dialogue.

6 comments:

BoggyWoggy said...

I like Rosie, but I get tired of her. It's sad, 'cause she used to be funny...less political...
I like the politics, but I miss the funny...

Nina said...

she should watch "man of the year" with robin williams. she'd be good at something like that. maybe...

i think she's waking up to some things and thus has the need to speak. the view isn't really the place to do that though. it's time for her to establish her own show again.

tkn said...

imo, anyone who raises the issue of 9-11 truth, especially someone as famous as Rosie, on a show like the View, is a hero. I've never watched the View, and until now I've always been somewhat ambivalent about Rosie, but I wish her the best and hope she keeps asking tough questions.

crallspace said...

I didn't like Rosie much ever, and still don't, but I am gaining a respect for her indeed.

However, I think the fact that Fox "News" has made such an issue of it, as if her comments are top story material on such a rancid program, it's kind of dopey. Just like Hilary, I don't know a singe progressive who cares about Rosie.

BoggyWoggy said...

Thing is, crallspace, you wrote some pretty nasty comments about "large women" on your blog at one time...so I'm amazed that you'd even give "Rosie" any thought...

crallspace said...

Whatever, doggy.