4.16.2007

Conscientious Neighbors and Landlords. Do They Exist?

As I have mentioned before, Mr. Nina and I live in a duplex. The rent is outrageous, the place is in need of a new roof, new siding, new carpeting. The walls are thin and the insulation is lacking. The landlord has spoken with us a lot about the economy, how the middle class is dismantling (how he is one of them) how housing costs are outrageous, how wages have declined. We've spoken about the corrupt political system, the war, etc. etc. Despite being on the same page on many issues, this guy lacks a conscience when it comes to gouging us on rent and not keeping his word on needed (and necessary) repairs. When a repair is done, he usually does it and his workmanship is crappy. Two such occasions required a professional to be called in. In short, he's a slumlord. He talks out of one side and yet behaves in the same damn manner at the greedy fucks he bitches about.

Then there are our neighbors. Actually, overall we have excellent neighbors. We were able to get some drug dealers evicted as well as the party-all-night kids. I'm speaking about the neighbors who share our duplex. They come home late at night, anywhere between midnight and 3am, stereo thumping, talking on their cell phones, laughing, singing. This wouldn't be an issue if their driveway didn't happen to share the same wall as our bedroom, which as mentioned above, is paper thin. But it does and so this has been an ongoing problem, one which we have spoken to them numerous times, spoken with the landlord (who gathered us all together and had the neighbors promise us when they came home--late at night only, their stereo would be turned off and they would stop their conversation until they got inside the house). They also have a habit of hitting this particular wall with their car. Yes, you read correctly. We've been woken up several times (the last being a Sunday morning last month around 7am) to the sound of "crash" then "crunch". Talk about terrifying! That particular morning, we went outside and saw that the idiot hadn't even moved his car. I took pictures, called the landlord and left a message saying "You need to talk with them about this. I am afraid they will come crashing through the wall and injure us." I told the landlord they've already damaged the wall--that is visible, I took pictures, etc. Think he called us back?? Nope. I don't know if our neighbors are just utterly stupid, drunk, or completely lacking in courtesy. Likely lacking in courtesy, considering how they have not respected our wishes to "ssshhh" when pulling in the driveway late at night. Last night, we were woken out of a sound sleep at 2:30am by the sound of someone throwing something against the wall. We both leap out of bed, rush outside and notice one of their bicycles. Let me tell you it took everything within me not to take that bike and throw it out into the street. (fuckers don't ever lock up their bikes so any thief or better yet, any homeless person in need of some money let me know and i'll give you the location. why should i care? these idiots do not value their personal property. they drive high end cars, too so it isn't like they are hurting for money.) At this point, my respect for them is gone. GONE. My sleep has been fucked with for so long, my body has shown the signs. I am exhausted from being woken up, at times in a state of panic. My adrenals are likely burned out and in need of some help (i found a medical doctor here in town trained in accupuncture and oriental medicine--and she's covered under our insurance--that was a real blessing and an answer to a very long-requested intention/desire). These fuckers mess with my sleep again, I will fuck with them right back. I now understand the drive for aggressive behavior. Not everyone respects assertive, respectful requests.

We've decided to move. But to where? Are there really any soundly built, safe, up-to-code clean homes (no more apartments or duplexes for us--we are done with sharing walls) for rent in QUIET neighborhoods that are owned by conscientious homeowners who aren't into price gouging, who respect the rights and privacy of their tenants for under $700 a month in Corvallis, who are looking for tenants who take excellent care, both inside and outside, of the property, who treat it as if it were their own home? If so, let me know.

2 comments:

tkn said...

I'll keep an eye out for rentals around our 'hood, 35th and Philomath Blvd.

Spiritbear said...

I couldnt find any. Thats why I ended up living in Albany (which is the armpit of the valley). I would much rather be in Corvallis.

Whats weird to me though is that the landlords I found in this area seem to be overly selective on the surface (i.e. applications, credit checks, etc) but seem to rent to real scumbags. People who are obviously on drugs, dont have any money, etc. I have less than perfect credit, but excellent rental history, and a stable job and look normal. That doesnt seem to matter much. They still made us feel like criminals. We didnt get turned down, but they pried deep into our life.

Makes me kinda miss the midwest. Where rental agreements are done with a handshake and you can have what you are looking for. A nice quiet place to call home without neighbors knocking at midnight to borrow money or the friendly neighborhood dumpster diver