5.04.2007

Pet Food Recall Update

Here's the latest from the FDA.

Distressing for me to read was to see Drs. Foster and Smith's canned cat food (one variety of Country Classics) being added to the list. Even though we have a dog, we began feeding her their canned dog food a few months ago. I visited their website, assuming there would be a large ad on their front page announcing the recall. There was none. They did, however, have a link (along with the rest of their links) to the pet food recall off to the left. Even though they never use wheat gluten or rice protein in their Country Classic pet food products, and despite their statement that equipment is thoroughly cleaned between batches of food, some of their products may have been made using equipment that had been used to make the contaminated products. They also said some of their products come from Canada and overseas. WTF?! I thought. Overseas?? That can be anywhere. I sent them an e-mail and suggested they buy and make all of their pet food products right here in the states and only use facilities that make pet food products, period. And ONLY USE NATURAL INGREDIENTS. Good lord. Get rid of the fillers. THIS IS A NO BRAINER. Approximately 700 or so customers (or kitties I should say) are affected by this recall and most thankfully, there have been no confirmed reports of illness or death.

I visited Animal Crackers yesterday (they have the best bulk doggie cookies there--excellent ingredients and a LOT cheaper than Petco's selection). There seemed to be a lot more customers than usual buying the more natural pet food products. They also have a sign in the front announcing "make your own pet food, we will show you how". I began doing that months ago and now that we've had this pet food nightmare, I will be increasing that. I'm lucky in that I have a dog who will eat anything as long as I say it's "nummy". She doesn't like lettuce or broccoli but she will eat them if I say "nummy". : )

No comments: