8.12.2007

Vacation: A Time To Quiet The Mind, Right?

Turns out, not so much. After spending this past week at the coast with my sweetie and puppy dog, where one of my intentions was to quiet my mind, put aside the rambling dialogue that goes through my mind on a fairly consistent basis, dialogue that screams to be put onto paper in some format, I realized my intention was well-meaning, but naive.

I would spot a parent letting their infant child test the cold seawaters for the first time, and my mind would race with thoughts about experiencing things for the first time. I would watch a group of pelicans dive into the ocean in search of food and my mind would want to paint a story around the scene. And don't even get me started on seeing newlyweds embracing or watching the sun set upon the horizon!

To make matters more challenging, I didn't bring paper. I did this intentionally being I had a feeling my mind would not want to take a vacation from creating, especially in such a fabulous spot. Part two of my intention: when the urge to write made itself known, I was to relax into the moment and just become part of the scene rather than try and control it with my ideas.

Again, well-meaning but naive. Now if we had been allowed and able to get away for 3 plus weeks of vacation (as do all of the other Industrialized Nations on the planet mandate of private employers, but I digress), I may have been able to accomplish my goals.

All of this being said and done, it was a wonderful week. The town in which we stayed in is very small and was quiet up until yesterday. The weather was perfect. Low 70's. Mostly sunny skies. The experience of that occasional coastal breeze that seems to come along at just the right moment when the sun is starting to feel a little too intense. I got an amazing suntan (for me that is, which given my 50% Polish heritage isn't saying much). We had nightly campfires in the firepit out back. And we were blessed with 3 completely clear nights, which allowed us to sit outside and star gaze.

Next year, our plan is for 2 weeks of vacation, regardless of what "the man" says.

No comments: