8.15.2007

Tree Killers

This issue is something that's been weighing on my mind recently. I'm not talking about worms, mites or disease. I'm talking about human beings killing trees simply because they find the trees a "nuisance". A few incidents have prompted me to discuss this issue in the hopes of changing some ways of thinking. And I need to add a little caveat here: I am a huge tree lover. I love to hug them. I love to watch them. Talk to them. Climb them. You name it. I've been this way for as long as I can remember. As such, I'm a little biased in favor of the trees.

When we moved into our home, a neighbor in back of us had just finished cutting down about 5 beautiful, massive, healthy Poplar trees. The reason? The previous winter had brought on a windstorm that knocked a couple of branches on her roof. Rather than realizing living amongst trees does bring some risk, rather than learning to live with that risk, rather than taking the time and money to trim the trees to reduce this risk, the owner, who interestingly enough was from California and according to what she told us, she was not "used" to having trees around, decided to cut them down and killed.

Last month, while Mr. Nina and I were outside enjoying a quiet, lazy Sunday afternoon, we heard a loud "zapping" sound. Looking around, we realized one of the trees next door was touching one of the power lines. Knowing this was a potential hazard, and seeing the neighbors weren't home, I phoned the utility company whereby an employee came out a few days later. I showed him where the noise had come from and he immediately knew what needed to be done. Trim back the tree and keep on top of it every 3-4 years. He said he would have to speak with the owner of the house (who rents out the place) to find out what she wanted to have done and a crew would be sent out. Well, apparently the owner, being the typical tightwad landlord, decided trimming the trees every few years was not an investment she wished to make and instead opted to have the tree (and it's neighboring tree) cut to the ground and killed. Well, needless to say, I was both angered and saddened as were the tenants living in the home. This particular tree provided a lot of shade and privacy. One of my favorite things to do was to sit out back and watch it sway in the wind.

Then this morning, as I was visiting a neighbor, I noticed something strange about the home next door: I could actually see the back yard. Apparently the neighbors decided to cut down all of the trees in their back yard. The trees were healthy and given their size, had been there for decades.

What can I say other than WTF is wrong with these people??? What gives you or any of us the right to cut down an otherwise perfectly healthy tree simply because we're too lazy/unmotivated/uncaring to take care of them?? What gives any of us the right to do the same simply because we find them a nuisance or want more sunlight?? Trees are continuining to be in short supply. Any of these folks stop and think that without these trees WE DO NOT SURVIVE???

Growing up, with the exception of one home, we lived amongst the trees. I remember one tree in particular that my parents had been told was a potential danger to our house--if a strong enough wind storm combined with torrential downpours occurred, this could possibly cause the tree to uproot and blow over onto our home. Our parents decided to keep the tree. I'm glad they did. It taught me a lesson about nature: We live amongst it. We need it. It deserves our respect.

If you do not wish to live around trees or do not want the responsibility and risk that comes from living amongst them, find a property that better suits your needs. Or if you do choose to remove trees, if they are healthy, have them removed from the roots and replanted elsewhere. Just, please, local residents, stop cutting down trees and having them killed simply because you find them to be a nuisance.

1 comment:

Ranando said...

We received a notice from the Malibu Fire Department that we had to cut down 5 massive tree from our property because of fire.
danger.

There was no way I was cutting those trees down. We had them removed, dug up and transfered.

$ 20,000.00 a tree, thats $ 100,000.00 for trees.

Just think if I were to lose my company or my money those trees would be dead.

There not and it's because I'm such a Big Bad Business Owner.

They were relocated to our property in Oak Glen.