7.27.2007

Late Night Ramblings........And Some Newslinks Sure To Make U Cry, Enlighten, Piss U off or Put U to ZZZ

I wish libraries stayed open until midnight or later. I get a natural jolt of energy after 8pm. Plus I'm a book nerd. I love being around books. Sometimes it's as though I can tune in to all of the words coming at me from every angle, calling me to READ READ READ. Tonight I found out there is no limit to the number of magazines I can check out. So I helped myself to an arm full. I also picked up an old, ancient copy of Wuthering Heights. I almost picked up a journal on supreme court debates, including one last year about Warrantless Searches and Wiretapping. However, I decided to keep my brain focused on literature this weekend instead of the b.s. being perpetuated by Bush, Cheney, et. al. Better nourishment, I figured.

I had a visit by some Mormon Missionaries today. We have one of those "No Solicitors" signs--homemade so it looks more personal and less, well, rude and sterile. Plus the cost was a bargain: free. I even wanted to put a smiley face on it, but I was told that would work against discouraging salespeople. Usually when such people arrive, I point to the sign and smile. Today though I decided to talk with the young men. Sometimes I learn something about myself. Today I learned I can sell. After telling them my religion was love, and after realizing it was unlikely I would be converting to Mormonism on this particular day, we began talking about the war. I told them about the idea for a PSA of the War that one of the guys from WhatIfProductions and I had recently put together. I shared with them our idea to set up a Memorial Fund for the families of the veterans, from which the proceeds (after production costs) would be going towards. All we need is funding, which I asked if their church would be interested in helping provide.

The looks on their faces was cute. How often do they get asked a question like this on these visits? They immediately let me know they were volunteers, to which I said that yes, I figured they were. However, I said, I know the Mormon church has a lot of money. "I mean come on, you guys practically own the entire state of Utah!" I said, laughing.

Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't have said that last part.

But whatever. They asked for my name and said maybe some of their church elders would be interested in our idea and said they'd pass along my name and idea. They also asked if they could perhaps put in some ideas about the Mormon faith and I said no. This would be a secular piece. No religious slant.

They nodded and said "ok".

I was surprised at how easy it was to share the idea. I guess anyone can really sell if it's something they believe in. Even asking for money wasn't as difficult as I had thought it would be. And plus, I had the benefit of just diving right in without thinking, without getting myself all wrapped up in the "what if's", a pointless game with no winners.

Ok, let's wrap up the late night ramblings and close up with a few news items I've gathered this past week. For the dog lovers (and who doesn't love dogs), here's a heartwrenching story about a 9/11 Ground Zero Dog Hero who died a couple of days ago. Damn! Why can't dogs live 50 years or more?! One of those Univeral Laws I don't understand. Or like. This "law" needs to change.

This next piece may enlighten those who don't believe in the Spirit World. I could also just share what I call my "Laci Peterson" experience, but that would take too long. Instead, read this article. To me it's a simple "uh huh, duh"--been there, done that, believe it, next. But not everyone shares my mindset. (damn)

This one, my last, will either piss you off or put you to sleep. Depends on how numb you are to the insanities coming from the policies of GWB.

2 comments:

nolocontendere said...

I actually don't mind getting visited by the marmots or the adventists. I always make it plain that I'm not interested in conversion and then it's sometimes fun when they relax and get grateful that the door doesn't get slammed in their faces. But sometimes the True Believers hang in there with the damn proselytization and doors do slam.

tkn said...

i read the article about orbs. thats pretty fascinating.

as i understand it, mormons have figured out a way to capitalize on the capitalist system and judging by the number of churches they've built, just around here, they're doing a damn good job. they do own a lot of capital and no doubt, they seek conformity in exchange for financial security.