10.06.2007

Drinking Juice Is Bad. Taking Pharmaceutical Drugs Is Good.

This is a rather lengthy piece. And it contains, in my opinion, a little too much wackiness (one must consider the site), but overall it shows the growing move by Government to downplay (which is putting it mildly) the benefits of alternative health care means. The fear is growing. These methods can be very beneficial and are only becoming more popular here in the states and Big Government/Big Pharmaceutical folks know it. And they are determined to take away our right to choose while they force their overly-priced, addictive, toxic drugs down our throats.

While in this particular story the patient (sadly) ended up dying of cancer anyway, despite using a juice therapy method, the point is this therapy WAS HIS CHOICE and now his wife, understandably distressed, experiencing deep levels of grief and sadness, wants to press charges against the pharmacist who recommended this therapy, not as a means of REPLACING chemotherapy, but as a supplemental method. And now there are folks who are jumping on this bandwagon to downplay alternative means of health and healing.

I've been researching alternative means of health and healing for over 10 years. I've read countless books and tried a host of things ranging from herbal supplements, massage (my personal favorite--if you can afford a weekly one, I highly recommend it!), chiropractice care, homeopathy to name a few. I've learned that just because it's something you can buy OTC does not mean it will work for you or that it is even safe for your particular body chemistry. You have to do your research and then, in the end, it's a trial and error process.

Some methods have worked, others have not. So be it. I have experienced the same thing with more traditional methods. For example, OTC anti-histamines and decongestants don't do a thing for my nasal symptoms. One type knock me flat on my ass. Another make me feel looped up. Neither a fun experience.

I had an experience earlier in the year where I needed to undergo a medical procedure. My doctor wanted to pump me full of narcotics and anti-anxiety medications. All very toxic. I took the prescriptions and said nothing. Instead, I used focused concentration, deep-breathing, ibuprofen and kava. I did just fine. Both she and her nurse were surprised when I told them I didn't take their prescriptions and instead, what I opted to do. I even gave them a mini-education on the benefits of certain herbal products, which of course are still "drugs" in their own right, but the side effects are often much less toxic and certainly, they are not addictive. Many even have health benefits.

There have been measures taken by our representatives (on both sides of the political fence) to take away our right to buy such supplements. It's of course ridiculous that there is outcry over herbal remedies and vitamin supplements that have been used for hundreds, at times thousands of years, in other countries and amongst the native populations, and yet the FDA continually approves medications that have been linked to serious health consequences, even death. And as in the above referenced story, this outrage is over JUICE. Yes, juice! Quick! I better throw away my cranberry juice collection. And woops, that orange juice carton looks like it can be a real threat to my health. Good lord...

I recently watched a couple of recently-approved medications advertise on tv. One medication is used to treat nasal allergy symptoms. One of the possible side effects? Eh, just glaucoma. No biggie. Yep, our product will clear up your nose, but it may cause you to go blind. Another medication (its use I cannot recall) said something along the lines of "leading to a potential fatal result". Oh come on, call a spade a spade people. Use this and you may die.

I recall 10, 20 years ago, the side effects from medications was pretty short. Today? They could fill a novella. Aside from car commericals, pharmaceutical drug ads take up more time and space on television and in most magazines. I recently ripped out all of the drug ads from a particular magazine and mailed them to the publisher. If we began doing this, you'd see these ads decline dramatically.

I believe in the right to choose. If people want to take pharmaceutical medications, go right ahead. They certainly have their place. If people want to choose more "alternative" means such as herbal remedies, homeopathy, food diets, massage, chiropractic care, etc., then by all means go ahead. Bottom line, it should be a choice. And as Uncle Sam continues to take away other rights, they are now wanting to take away this right to choose our health care choices as well. It's insane. Rediculous. Without merit. And yet that's how certain people respond when faced with the possibility that the dollars in their pockets face the idea of shrinkage because of competition.

Wow. And here I thought these Big Business types whole-heartedly supported a free market.

1 comment:

tkn said...

Indeed, big business is all for a free market, what they never say is they want the freedom to have monopolies, which is the opposite of a true free market.

Seriously, though, they just want government to butt out because they operate in a vacuum. On the one hand, they insist that their consumers' best interests are first and foremost for the long term bottom line (weak argument for self-regulation), even as they go about trying to maximize profit and earnings from short term quarter to quarter.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I heard a story about the Japanese electronics giant Kyocera, who have invested heavily into solar panels. The story was that after decades, solar panel manufacturing is only now becoming profitable (thanks to aggressive public investment). When asked why the CEO decided, long ago, to invest in something that wasn't profitable, the spokesperson said the CEO is a visionary and sometimes doing the right thing is more important than immediate profit (paraphrase). We need more people like this.

I tried kava once while on a mountaineering trip. We needed to go to sleep early and get up at like 2:00am to try to ascend Mt. Shasta. It worked great. (We didn't make it to the top due to severe winds that kept knocking us over.)