9.25.2006

finally someone who gets tough on drunk drivers

as someone who has been in two accidents involving drunk drivers, i can only say "it's about time!" after reading this article.
people who choose to drink then get behind the wheel of a car need to have much more accountability. all too often they are released back into to society only to repeat again.
the first accident i was in involved a young male, early 20's. he hit me from behind, thankfully the only damage done was to my car. the guy was so drunk, he could barely walk. i remember he kept thinking he could fix my car....the second accident i was involved in was quite different. this time it was 2 men who had stolen a car. they ran a light, plowed head-on into the car off to my left who then plowed into me. at the time i was driving a small 2-door honda. the car off to my left was a pinto wagon with a long front end. just moments before the impact, i had been in the same lane and position as the pinto but something told me to "get right", which i did. as i explained this to the officer, he said it was a good thing i had listened to that voice. if i hadn't listened to it and instead had been hit first, given the size of my car, i likely would not have survived the impact.
talk about having one of those surreal moments. i was already experiencing some mild shock. upon hearing that, i began shaking all over and had to be guided back to my car. i have experienced driving phobias ever since that accident.
in the first accident, the guy's parents insurance paid to fix my car. in the second accident, the driver was homeless, had no insurance and being the car was also stolen, i had no recourse. thankfully i had uninsured motorist coverage. but, i received nothing for the emotional/physical/mental pain and trauma i experienced--and still experience. i remember the prosecutor called me and said i could have the driver's boombox. it was his only possession. of course i refused. i didn't need one of his possessions. i needed him to fix my car. i needed him to pay for the therapy i was in need of.
i was young and thoughtless. i drove drunk a few times in my late teen years. however, i grew out of it. why? largely because of the accidents i was in. they caused me to really think. i realized the responsibility i had when operating a car. oh there were times when i wanted to drink when i was the driver, but you know what? i didn't give in to the temptation. i know first hand the dangers of driving drunk. and in a way i am thankful for the accidents i experienced for they showed me first hand, at a young age, what can happen when you mix drinking and driving. i just thank god the few times i did it, i didn't hurt anyone.

No comments: