3.06.2010

The Logical Song: 30 Years Later and Nothing's Changed

I've been spending this afternoon listening to some of my old albums (which, like my cassette tapes and 8-tracks, after 30 years are still intact, still sound awesome, unlike today's "modern technological advances" of CD's and DVD's which begin breaking down after a year or two).  At the moment, I'm listening to "Supertramp: Breakfast in America" - a very intuitive, rockin' and socially/politically aware album.  One of my favorite songs on the album always has been and still is "The Logical Song".  I was just entering my teenage years when this song was popular.  At the time, in spite of my tender young age, a lot of my innocence had already been shattered apart for a variety of reasons, some too graphic to depict on this blog, not the least of which was an on-going pressure from adults/the church/the system/teachers/family/neighbors around me to "SHUT UP" with my "radical/naive/unrealistic" etc. etc. etc. opinions.  At the time it was one thing when you spoke up and you were male (and straight).  When you happened to have breasts and a vagina (or had the penis and liked other humans with penises), the venom shot back at you packed an extra punch of contempt. 

Usually.  But not always. 

When listening to this song way back when, while my brain was still trying to understand some of the concepts, assumptions and words, somewhere within I knew the truth:  When You See Things As They Are And Could Be And Aren't Silent About Such Things, You're Gonna Face Attempts Of Silence For The Remainder Of Your Life.

30 years ago and this message was every bit as prevalent as it is today.  I think each generation tends to forget this and holds the impression (illusion) that theirs is the only one who has experienced such silencing. 
Political and social opinions may change a bit over the generations, but one thing has remained the same and that is the above stated truth in bold. 

In honor of the vocal truth seekers, I present you with the words from that wonderful song, "The Logical Song".  Keep on speakin' out.  Keep on rockin'. 

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they sent me away to teach me how to be sensible,
logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
the questions run too deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.

Not watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

At night, when all the world's asleep,
the questions run so deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.
Who I am.
Who I am.

3 comments:

Devin said...

Nina
I havent been online much at all lately - a combination of a death in the family and a cold I got upon coming back from the out of state funeral - I saw this and just had to say I couldnt agree with you more about this song!!!!!!!!
and it is such a relief to me to know others are on the same wavelength as me :-)
I hope you and yours are doing beautifully (and you're right 30 years later and not a damn things changed)

Nina said...

hey devin~
i'm so sorry to hear about the death in your family. i hope you're recovered from your cold. and i apologize for taking a few days to respond. pregnancy is an interesting and fascinating experience - but man, does it make one TIRED (esp. the more the baby grows) and ABSENTMINDED!

Anonymous said...

It agree, very amusing opinion