11.11.2006

i pledge allegience, uh, to myself

most of us grew up saying the pledge of allegiance. it was something that was so ingrained in me, i never stopped to consider what i was saying or why. a natural thing for a power base to do to its citizenry. chant chant chant without thinking. blind obedience to a tradition.

obviously i snapped out of my trance and in time began questioning why i had been forced to do this all of those years. it became uncomfortable for me, so it's a practice i rarely, if ever, participate in. however that being said, i believe in freedom of speech and thus i believe people have the right to either say or not say the pledge. this recent move by a group of college students in orange county, ca, while it doesn't provide enough details for me to form a thoughtful opinion, feels a bit extreme. an out and out ban? sounds like the flip side of the coin........we'll either force you to say the pledge or we will take away your right to say the pledge.

i pledge allegience
to the knowledge
of the truth that resides within me.

n.

No comments: